Thursday, November 17, 2011

Meaningful life....A Short Story....

Two close friends met after a long interval and they had a great time together.  In the process, the one visited noted that his companion was not really well off.  He felt bad for the same and firmly decided to help him out.  At a convenient time during his stay, he gently made a suggestion.... 

His friend smiled but immediately enquired what the offer was!  The first one got stunned at this behavior as he never expected his best friend asking that way.... 

But then he felt it as challenge and said that whatever his friend wanted he would give.  The companion said, “Can you give me lifelong what I am going to ask?”

With this the first one really got upset and severely admonished his friend saying that he never expected such a mean behavior from him whom he treated all these years as close to his heart!

To this, the friend smiled, embraced him with all affection and said, “I am sorry for hurting you this way. I meant nothing bad. Really to say, I don’t want anything from you. I should only earn myself what  all I need but never take free from anyone even the closest.”

To a query from his friend to explain why so, he continued,” See! Whatever you give me today as lump sum will be over in a certain time. Then, later onwards, where is the money with me to live with my habit that would have developed in me because of this free money? Even if you give me a fixed amount for my entire life, the life style I start living will not be acknowledged by my circle of people as the same is not with them. The group which lives with this life style will see me as a stranger only as they know that I, by myself, am not entitled for this. As such they also will not accept me. This way, whatever life style you give me will not make me any better as I lose all my people. That is why I am declining your offer in total. Whatever my ancestral transfer, my own effort and my progeny together give me are the only right possessions I can claim as mine!”

The friend was astonished at his wisdom and clarity!



No comments:

Post a Comment