Tuesday, July 22, 2014

'Seniority' at Work....


“Sir! In my Organization as on date, I completed more than 15 yrs of Service.... But, this year, I was simply denied the Promotion even though I was eligible and my Colleague was preferred in my place.... How can the Management overlook my valuable Work Experience / the related Seniority and decide thus? In what way am I less to my Colleague here? My Management had simply let me down!" thus was commenting a man of early forties on a Weekend Evening, to one of his elderly Well-wishers who was considered to be a Personality of Wisdom and deep thinking....

The Well-wisher patiently listened to the man, consoled him for a while and further said, “Dear! I understand your agony and pain in this matter.... But, let me tell you, you should be aware of the most important point of any Employment Viz., The General terms and conditions of Employment you got into when you had taken up your Job....

No doubt as I start working, over a period of time I do become an Expert in related Skills and thus automatically know the ‘IN’ and ‘OUT’ of my Work…. Further to that, I also mature myself in the General Management of day to day issues at and around my Work.... And with the passage of age, a general maturity in life too joins in the back ground....

The above together called 'The Seniority in Service' has thus a Value and continues to enjoy all the support and benefits in my Work Area provided….

  • I am honest in my Work, exert without hesitation and follow all Rules and Regulations to the core without a deviation at any point of time as the dishonest ways in no time bring down the Curtains for even the 'Best Stage Performer' at Work.... 
  • My Capabilities at Work are not deteriorated thru' neglect at my Work or aging so that I am still useful to my Organization as any indiscipline here shows in no time the Way Out and thru' Retirement, the same Seniority totally caries a lesser Market Value.... 
  • I do not suffer from any serious disabilities or health problems.... Sometimes the trivial issues of health and well-being matter a lot like a Senior Waiter of a Restaurant too keeping off from the Active Catering Service when attacked by Severe Cold and if the Cold becomes chronic, may have to be out of Catering Service itself however Senior he might have been.... 
  • I am not too much out-dated in my Skills.... If such a thing happens, the new Entrants become more useful in the same job compared to me and I will have no place further in the Establishment like an old Potter having no Job amidst the use of Coolers.... 
  • All along, I had my timely Promotions till date without too much Stagnation.... 
At the backdrop of these alone, my Seniority carries its own Respect and Value in my Organization and would be compensated well in all such cases…."

"But Sir! I am very much confirming to all that you stated without any of major Negatives.... Even then, why is this degrading to me? As per your own words, I should be the best man on my Job! How can my Colleague be better here, when he had served less number of years?.... I don't understand the rationality in promoting him!"

"Dear! It is the last point that I did not specifically mention as that might have had hurt you..... Just remember.... It's a Free Enterprise.... The Employer can choose me at own wish and will as the Right man for a job in spite of myself being the best unless I am covered under certain immunity which I feel is not there in your case.... And it is equally my wish to be with this Employer or not.... The Contract can simply be closed with the issue of a Notice from either side.... Then why to talk that he had not supported you, as you too right at this moment can resign and straight away show your best with another Employer? Who really stopped you from doing this?"

No comments:

Post a Comment