To a question on ‘How effective is the theoretical learning at work’, a Senior Retired CEO humorously answered in private,revealing his own valuable experiences...
- “Just for a few days from the day I was appointed as the young Engineer in my Company, I had time to visit my Library.. There, seeing a number of books in my field of Work, I instantly borrowed half a dozen of them and neatly arranged on my small table.. But from the next day the pressure at work increased tremendously, I hardly had any time to look into those books except once in a way glancing thru'.. Continued thus, in 3 yrs I was promoted to the Senior Engineer Post and was made In-charge of a small Group of my own Juniors..
- In no time, even that little time to glance thru' my favorite books too vanished as the new Job was demanding beyond.. Thus I continued for the next 5 yrs, by which time I was promoted to the Manger’s Post and which again I had to take up with all pride..
- The learning of Content of my Work thru' books thus totally stopped and the books were returned to the Library but again as a young Manager and with no less zeal I borrowed different set of books on the subject 'Effective Management'.. Forget about reading those books, in a short time the Managing activities started eating into my own personal time at home and thus I could hardly glance thru' the books even once.. And before I could know the meaning of the Effective Management, I was promoted as the Group Leader and was entrusted with the Task of motivating a Non-Performing Group of the Company.... No need to say, I began mastering the new subject.... 'Leadership Skills' with few new books on my table simultaneously doing the challenging job in front..
- Other than continuously renewing those books for issue from the Library and motivating my Group Members at work nothing more happened but soon against the Post applied in a new Company, I was offered the Senior Executive Role as HOD of one of their Departments... It was truly a joyous Occasion as I became HOD in the new Company at a much younger age... And the ‘Challenge’ of taking care of a huge Departmental Activities in front had squarely put a stop to my further learning of the subject ‘Leadership Skills’..
- As the HOD in my new Company, I purchased 3 prominent books related to the Departmental Responsibilities but my those very responsibilities never allowed me to just open the books even once for the next 6 yrs when I was promoted and transferred as the General Manager I/c of a Sick Division of my Company functioning in a remote area without a choice.. I thus once again had to leave all my that bookish learning behind and quickly get into the hectic task of turning the sick Unit into a profitable Venture….
- As GM, I just had 2 Books on my the then huge table on 'How to turn out a sick Unit into a viable Venture' but all along I was only physically into the process of implementing certain concrete plans to revive the non performing Asset of my Company... As life continued thus at the back of a certain success, I was offered the post of CEO in the next new Company to take care of their total affairs without a say..
- No doubt I accepted the same and as the CEO there, the sooner I chalked out an Ambitious Expansion Plan for my once again new Company to turn it into a Global Venture and equally purchased the then latest famous Book on Successful Corporate Management, my retirement was due.. And no need to say.. On the D-Day, I was praised as a man of deep Knowledge in everything, heavily garlanded and and was coolly sent off home but with a 2 yr Contract Job Offer of the ‘Consultant and Adviser’ to the next CEO in line in the same Office….
- From the next day onwards, my table was loaded with various books and magazines of my related knowledge and the sooner I decided to read them and advise my the then CEO on the Effective Performance and Growth of the Company than I was bypassed by him who decided to implement his own styles and practices with the advice of his close Team Members..Thus I became a redundant Functionary for a while and after the 2 yrs tenure, was permanently at home... Finally there alone I found enough time with me not only to read in full..'atig davagahb damirs koob dercas eht' but also pick up the same by heart from the beginning to the end!"