Monday, June 8, 2015

'BOOK READING' IN THE FUNNY ENVIRONMENT!


To a question on ‘How effective is the theoretical learning at work’, a Senior Retired CEO humorously answered in private,revealing his own valuable experiences... 
  • “Just for a few days from the day I was appointed as the young Engineer in my Company, I had time to visit my Library.. There, seeing a number of books in my field of Work, I instantly borrowed half a dozen of them and neatly arranged on my small table.. But from the next day the pressure at work increased tremendously, I hardly had any time to look into those books except once in a way glancing thru'.. Continued thus, in 3 yrs I was promoted to the Senior Engineer Post and was made In-charge of a small Group of my own Juniors.. 
  • In no time, even that little time to glance thru' my favorite books too vanished as the new Job was demanding beyond.. Thus I continued for the next 5 yrs, by which time I was promoted to the Manger’s Post and which again I had to take up with all pride.. 
  • The learning of Content of my Work thru' books thus totally stopped and the books were returned to the Library but again as a young Manager and with no less zeal I borrowed different set of books on the subject 'Effective Management'.. Forget about reading those books, in a short time the Managing activities started eating into my own personal time at home and thus I could hardly glance thru' the books even once.. And before I could know the meaning of the Effective Management, I was promoted as the Group Leader and was entrusted with the Task of motivating a Non-Performing Group of the Company.... No need to say, I began mastering the new subject.... 'Leadership Skills' with few new books on my table simultaneously doing the challenging job in front.. 
  • Other than continuously renewing those books for issue from the Library and motivating my Group Members at work nothing more happened but soon against the Post applied in a new Company, I was offered the Senior Executive Role as HOD of one of their Departments... It was truly a joyous Occasion as I became HOD in the new Company at a much younger age... And the ‘Challenge’ of taking care of a huge Departmental Activities in front had squarely put a stop to my further learning of the subject ‘Leadership Skills’.. 
  • As the HOD in my new Company, I purchased 3 prominent books related to the Departmental Responsibilities but my those very responsibilities never allowed me to just open the books even once for the next 6 yrs when I was promoted and transferred as the General Manager I/c of a Sick Division of my Company functioning in a remote area without a choice.. I thus once again had to leave all my that bookish learning behind and quickly get into the hectic task of turning the sick Unit into a profitable Venture…. 
  • As GM, I just had 2 Books on my the then huge table on 'How to turn out a sick Unit into a viable Venture' but all along I was only physically into the process of implementing certain concrete plans to revive the non performing Asset of my Company... As life continued thus at the back of a certain success, I was offered the post of CEO in the next new Company to take care of their total affairs without a say.. 
  • No doubt I accepted the same and as the CEO there, the sooner I chalked out an Ambitious Expansion Plan for my once again new Company to turn it into a Global Venture and equally purchased the then latest famous Book on Successful Corporate Management, my retirement was due.. And no need to say.. On the D-Day, I was praised as a man of deep Knowledge in everything, heavily garlanded and and was coolly sent off home but with a 2 yr Contract Job Offer of the ‘Consultant and Adviser’ to the next CEO in line in the same Office…. 
  • From the next day onwards, my table was loaded with various books and magazines of my related knowledge and the sooner I decided to read them and advise my the then CEO on the Effective Performance and Growth of the Company than I was bypassed by him who decided to implement his own styles and practices with the advice of his close Team Members..Thus I became a redundant Functionary for a while and after the 2 yrs tenure, was permanently at home... Finally there alone I found enough time with me not only to read in full..'atig davagahb damirs koob dercas eht' but also pick up the same by heart from the beginning to the end!"
(Written in reverse just to keep my Readers guessing; sorry for the small trouble given!)

12 comments:

  1. Enjoyed much reading the post! Enthralling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neelam.. Part of experiences of my life!

      Delete
  2. Thoroughly enjoyed reading. Knowledge from experience is more significant & useful than from books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ravish.. They forever are inter related.. Experience gets into books and books make a start in that line!

      Delete
  3. Interesting to read about the plight of the books Sir. Its strange but somehow nowadays I just don't end up reading any book that I purchase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Somali.. It happens in whatever field one may be working.. Thanks for making a good observation!

      Delete
  4. Finally!:)
    I too can't seem to find out time for books.
    Great post Sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Indrani.. Part of my experiences at work!

      Delete
  5. I was smiling by the end .....I like reading but so agree with work time just saps with other activities :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shweta! A Satirical Expression of Reality around.. Thank you for leaving a nice comment on these Pages!

      Delete