Sunday, December 3, 2017


..AND SHE IS CALLED THE 'MOTHER!'

Around 50 years ago when telephones were rare in the country and plastic was unknown in food industry, a young man on his official tour took his aged mother along with him to show the temples of pilgrimage importance around the place of his visit.

The son with his mother checked into a hotel in the early morning hrs for their stay in the new place. After readying himself, the son told his mother that he would finish his office work quickly and try to come back by lunch time so that they both could have lunch in a good hotel and then go around the place seeing the important temples in that area. The mother agreed and the son left.

But his office work continued and so the son could not make it out for lunch. When it was nearing lunch hr, he got good hot lunch packed in a steel carrier and sent to his mother through one of his attendants asking him to wait there and get back the carrier after his mother finished eating her food. The attendant being a local had a difficulty of communicating to his mother and so the son sent a chit writing in his mother tongue a short communication which read thus..
  • "Ma! I am sending the carrier lunch thru' my attendant for you as I'm busy with my work and can't come now to the hotel to take you for lunch. 
  • You finish eating and send back the carrier. I'll eat later after finishing my work.
  • Evening we can go out for our dinner!" 
Strangely, after an hour the attendant brought back the boxes intact. The son got wondered and could not understand the reason for that. The attendant informed that he handed over the food and the chit to his mother and collected the boxes when she returned them to him. The son too immediately couldn't do anything as he had to rush for his work.

Finally after finishing his work by evening, he quickly came back to hotel and asked his mother,

“Ma! Why didn't you eat the meal I sent to you?”

The mother replied,

"I read your chit and opened the lunch boxes. After seeing the contents, I felt like not eating and send back the carrier as is!"

"Why? You did not like the items?"

"No.. I thought the quantities are not enough for both of us!"

"Why both of us? I wrote that I'd eat my lunch at my Office!"

The mother showed the chit sent by him. The son read it allowed..
  • "Ma! I am sending the carrier lunch thru' my attendant for you as I'm busy with my work and can't come now to the hotel to take you for lunch.
  • You finish eating and send back the carrier. I'll eat later after finishing my work.
  • Evening we can go out for our dinner!"
The mother said,

“I thought that you'll also be eating part of that food!”

The son instantly understood the way she interpreted his words in the 2nd line of his message. He laughed aloud and said,

"Then at least, you could have eaten half of it and sent back the remaining. Why you didn't eat anything at all?"

The mother smiled and said,

“Dear! Don't I know your hunger? That full carrier food is also sometimes not enough for my son when he is really hungry.. I can never take a chance here and make you go hungry!”

Keyword: mother

9 comments:

  1. Have you posred this earlier? vaguely remember reading it. A very good post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Rajeev. I posted it in 2014 but felt improving it and so accordingly presented the message in a better way not losing sight of the core and brought out the same for the benefit of many of my new Network Blogger Readers.. Thanks for the compliment!

      Delete
  2. You beautifully presented the working of a mother's mind through this lovely story. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a nice compliment, Ravish Mani from great Bloggers like you. Thank you very much for the same.. You truly said it!

      Delete
  3. Thanks Shoma for the appreciation.. A nice comment!

    ReplyDelete