Wednesday, October 17, 2018

NO DOUBT WORK IS WORSHIP BUT AT TIMES, SAYING NO TO IT TOO IS VERY MUCH REQUIRED!



"Sir! That portion of work is completed, I've got the matter printed and today itself am sending the material to.........."

The newly promoted Manager briefed his Boss..
  • "Thanks, Vignesh! Really you've done the job. You know, how much we are off from a big problem for the present. For the last one week, I was totally restless and....." 
Instantly applauded the Boss with a smile..

That evening, there was a call to the Manager at his residence from a very Senior Member of his dept..

  • "Hi! Vignesh! This is Ramesh speaking.. How are you dear? Sorry to call you at this time.. Mr Vignesh! We have an urgent task and our GM is looking for the right man to do that.. I'm sure you are that right man here.. 
  • Please listen carefully.. It's an important work for the next week. A sort of crucial client interaction.. Hope you got it.. Hope you are OK with this......" 
"Sir! I'm already loaded with...."
  • "It's just for a week.. Later a bit here and there.. It's equally an opportunity for you....." 
"But Sir! I have a deadline of...."
  • "Yaar! I'm saying.. It's just for a week, not more than that.. Put your head into it a bit seriously, you can do it much earlier.. It's challenge, man.. You got to take it.. You got your promotion now and our GM sure expects you do this!" 
"OK, OK, Sir! I understand and I'll adjust. You can give my name!"
  • "That's nice of you, dear! The right decision.. OK.. Bye, dear.. See you sometime tomorrow in my Office.. Good night!" 
The next day early morning the Manager briefed his Boss on what happened the earlier evening..

"Sir! It seems to be an urgent requirement and our GM alone had asked for me.. I couldn't........."
  • "Dear! What's that you have agreed to? If you go away, who will do my work?" 
"Sir! No worries.. I'll manage both the jobs.. Am confident of that!"
  • "What are you saying? I know, the moment you are into this, you will be loaded with tons of that work alone. No, I can't allow it.. Let's go to GM immediately and clarify on this.. Come with me!" 
The Manger a bit a confused soon had to follow his Boss to the GM's Office. The Boss briefed GM what work his Manager was doing and how important it was that he was totally into that job..

The GM got instantly upset and said,
  • "Yaar! If that was the case, your man should have clearly told that to Mr Ramesh. Why did he agree to take up this?" 
The Boss was equally firm..
  • "Sir! I know the problem but I'm equally helpless here as my work suffers. Any how, leave it to me, I'll deploy my other boy Mr........ for this job and he will finish it for you as per plan!" 
  • "That's okay but now, this man's name had gone to our client and he accepted his bio-data. I can't displease the customer now by changing the name!" 
Saying thus, the GM turned towards the Manager and questioned..
  • "Mr Vignesh? What answer do you have here to me and to your Boss now? Can you give an explanation?"
The Manager meekly said,

"I'm sorry, Sir! I should have discussed the matter with my Boss before giving a word on this. I did a mistake and am extremely Sorry!"

Next moment the GM went into a sort of rage..
  • "WHAT SORRY, DEAR? HOW CAN YOU GET AWAY SAYING THAT? NO.. I DON'T ALLOW THAT.. I WANT A SOLID ANSWER FROM YOU RIGHT NOW!"
Saying thus, he instantly called his PA and directed him,
  • "Get me the personal file of Mr Vignesh right now on to my table. My house is on fire and I need to set right the issue.. People should be answerable on their job.. None should take the work environment for granted.. Please go and get the file now!" 
Keywords: work, environment

12 comments:

  1. very nice... would like to know what happened after GM took the file of Vignesh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Nice question.... No doubt the talk goes thus but whatever be the happening, the man sure learns how to be careful at work and how often the Higher ups and a few times the colleagues too can land one into an unexpected situation... Thanks for the question!

      Delete
  2. I liked the way you cite such real-life incidents to make your point Sir. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maniparna! Having lived in such an Environment for almost 40 yrs and retired, all my messages in relation to Work ever are at the back of that experience only.... Thanks again!

      Delete
  3. It's realy very one Sir..............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much.... Just a few thoughts within me!

      Delete
  4. Assertiveness is a very importnat skill that is required to deal with the world..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said very much right, Roohi! But that skill comes only when I either witness or myself experience certain awkward situations in life.... Thanks for a nice Comment on these Pages!

      Delete
  5. I must say I also come across such situation in my professional life and I believe all professionals (particularly the ones who are not outspoken much) must have found themselves in similar situation while dealing with their bosses who try to take a complete grip of the events under their supervision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! This invariably happens at Work.... It's generally a situation where in I can't straight away refuse the request (indirectly an order) on the face of it but should equally be careful on what I commit.... Truly a tug of war environment.... Thank you very much, Vishal!

      Delete
  6. well said. I also noticed it makes u feel light and tension free. It should be applicable in every aspect of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment.. Yes.. Often, it's the technique of managing the issues so that the work moves on smoothly and none in Senior Positions are inconvenienced. Sooner one learns this in his/her work area, the better.. Wishes!

      Delete