Friday, September 20, 2019

THE STRICT REGIME.. WHAT'S IT LIKE, AT TIMES?



On a day, a King said to his Minister..

“To improve the rule bound discipline amongst my people from today, let me increase the quantum of fines/punishments many fold so that people come to attention and become disciplined as needed!”

The wise Minister straight away said,

“Your Majesty! This proposal would be detrimental to the freedom of people and their welfare unless all equally can represent injustice at a reasonable level as well all are capable of parting with the amounts involved..

Instead of such drastic change of rules, let's try improving our ruling and equally let us educate people on the right conduct!”


“Improving and reforming are long time processes and many times, the purpose itself would be forgotten there. Let me implement this and discipline people thru' fear!”

Asserted the King and without further discussing with the Minister had straightaway gone ahead with his proposal..

Days passed. As expected, the rule breaking in the Kingdom became less. The King was jubilant that he could achieve what he wanted..

On a day, the Minister requested the King to accompany him to 3 prominent residential places in disguise wherein the King could overhear his people talking about their experiences in respect of his strict ruling..

In a less privileged community, a talk was heard thus..

  • "I'm not at all involved here and not connected a bit but sadly I was asked to handover a huge portion of my earnings of today else the problem I need to face is going to be too big..
  • No go.. I paid off.. We just manage for the day but my worry is.. If I am asked like this a 2nd time, what am I to do and where can I go?"
In an average level community, a talk was heard thus..
  • "I'm careful all along as the amounts I need to pay if I err even though not so big are still comparable to my earnings of the month. Unfortunately, today I made a small mistake unknowingly and had to pay that amount..
  • I'll just manage for the time being but.. To err is human and if it happens 2nd time? Neither I can stop involving here as my earning is ever linked to this involving at the basic level!"
In a richer community, a talk was heard thus..
  • "These so called hefty amounts are nothing to me compared to my wealth / earnings and beyond I always have a cushion of bargaining and pay a sizable lesser amount if required..
  • No problem.. Compared to the comforts and conveniences I'll have if I go soft with the rules on and off, these payments are nothing and I needn't bother much in this direction!"
The King was stunned with the conversations he heard. The Minister smiled and said in a soft tone,

“Your Highness did not perceive this equally happening while raising the limits of fines / punishments!”

The Post is written as story in response to this week's IndiSpire Prompt Are hefty traffic violation fines justifiable? #trafficrules

Keywords: STRICT, REGIME 

2 comments:

  1. You write: "Instead of such drastic change of rules, let's try improving our ruling and equally let us educate people on the right conduct!" Well, we've spent decades trying to do just this without anyone learning anything. The only solution is strict and uncompromising implementation of tough rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I very much agree with what you said thru' this comment, Arvind. Equal number of times strict ruling should be part of any democratic regime which will definitely help the ruled in the long run. In the process, it should ever be ensured that none lives thru' unnecessary fear beyond except at the level of discipline required in all interactions with others basically and sometimes in respect of self safety too.. No doubt a tough job to achieve but equally important when the living standards of people vary beyond limits, whatever be the reason.. Thanks for the good critical comment on the Post!

      Delete