Friday, September 1, 2023

NEVER SAY, 'NOT THERE!'; ALWAYS SAY, 'OVER!'



That day, as a retired person, I was on my usual morning walk..

The ambulance vehicle making a shrilling sound with fast changing colored lights on top was seen coming very fast when all of a sudden 2 youths ran across the road and crossed..

As both of them came to the side, one man was seen asking them in a bit harsh tone why they attempted endangering their lives as well as coming in way of the emergency vehicle..

"Sir! We judged the distance and crossed. Got to go urgently; no time!"

Was the answer from one of the youths..

"What is that urgency? You both look normal!"

"Our customer just now rang up. He says that we are already late in our deliveries and if.... We've to go now!"

Soon I entered my usual hotel and ordered my favorite tea. In few minutes, the hot steaming tea was in front served by an young man with a cheerful smile on his face..

I thanked him and as I started sipping the tea, slowly I was taken back to the memories of my past work life where in the boss/client interactions were seen moving thru' my mind afresh..

  • "You spoke to our customer on phone? Yaar! In this company the GM or CEO alone can do that. Right now go to him and say sorry for that. And, never do this mistake again!"
  • "You want your GM's order to come to my place? No problem.. Be prepared to be in my office in the next 15 minutes. The order is going to come not from GM but from CEO's office!"
  • "What dear.. Time is not enough? The customer wants the item tomorrow. Find 25 hrs in your day today and complete the job!"
  • "You came to meeting to tell me that your deliveries would be delayed? Right now talk to your GM and give me the right answer else your CEO will make you give that the next minute!"
  • "I expect you to be the witness to the verbal accusations made at me by your other customer in the meeting. Please sign on these papers!"
  • "You were witness to that verbal fight and you yourself address that. I may be your boss but I don't want to get involved in such sensitive issues!" 

At the back of those never fading harsh realities of work life, I could equally recollect my boss repeatedly advising,

“You all very well know that we are into serious business when we sit in this place. Here, there's nothing like doing a fixed job and getting away. It's like a war zone where you are 100% a warrior. Remember in any war,

  • You'll enter at the right place, in the right time with proper defence with you..
  • You'll fight to the level required and finish the task at the earliest with full vigor.. And
  • You'll quickly retreat before the enemy tries to spot and catch you! 

In work area too,

  • You should be well equipped with all training, information and the right tools as you start the work..
  • You should work with all vigor and finish the task well in time.. And
  • You should see that the task is delivered into the right hands and all privacy required in this area is taken care in a diplomatic way!

Without these disciplines, if you remain casual in your work, you'll quickly be caught off guard and attacked by a few vested interests who are in for grabbing the opportunity and make a hay in the field..

That way, your employer soon may lose or may land in problems of strained relations, unnecessary blame or at times may get into few critical issues from which getting out will be a real a problem and for all that happening ultimately

You alone have to pay thru' your nose; none else!”

The owner at the counter was heard advising the serving boy on the reply given to a visitor about availability of a popular dish..

"Dear! Never say, 

'NOT THERE!';

Always say, 

'OVER!'"

This post is a part of Blogchatter Half Marathon 2023

Keywords: work, customer

No comments:

Post a Comment