Thursday, August 30, 2018

DOING THE PRESCRIBED ACTIONS
WITH LESS SELF INTEREST 
MANY TIMES OVERRIDES 
EVEN THE DEEPEST MEDITATIONS! 


Long ago, a saint was in deep meditation in certain area of a forest sitting under a tree. As he continued meditation, he experienced a feeling of total Serenity and Tranquillity with him..


But right at that moment, an iota of pride too entered him without his knowledge. He thought that he attained Realization, got up from meditation and decided go to the world to preach Truth as that was his duty there afterwards..

Accordingly, he travelled in his usual saffron robes to the neighborhood town to continue meditation and preaching and thus help the world at large..

As he approached the town, it became mid day noon and as he felt hungry, he stood in front of a house and requested for food as that was the practice followed by the saintly personalities..

For some time, there was no response from the house but soon the door opened, a lady with full meal in her hand hurriedly came out, bowed to the saint and said,

  • “Reverend Sir, excuse me for the delay. Please take the food and bless me!” 
The saint felt a little uneasy for the delay and as he was about to leave with the food given, the lady smiled and said,
  • “Honorable Sir, I was ready with your food the moment you called. But right at that time, my family needed my service. I took care of them and then immediately brought the food for you.This way I feel I did no mistake of making you feel uneasy!”
The saint wondered at her remark and requested her how she maintained her calm and could sense his uneasiness. She replied,
  • “More than any Penance and Meditation, as we do our sacred duty attached to our living with 100% devotion, this peace sure stays with us!” 
The sage instantly felt that he should learn more from her. At his request, the lady said,
  • “There is a person in this town who can teach much more than me. Your remaining doubt will sure vanish with his talk!” 
Saying thus, she guided him to the particular place.

The saint started moving to the given address and as he began locating the place, he was taken to a narrow lane and finally he was in front of the man's small shop whom the lady referred.. 


Having seen the saint, the man immediately bowed to him, got confirmed that the lady had sent him and requested him to seat. Subsequently, he closed his shop and took him to his house..

There, he introduced his old parents to the saint and said,

  • “Sir, for me my parents are the Living Gods. I sincerely serve them and take care of them apart from doing my work given by my father..
  • The Calmness and Peace in me today are purely out of this simple living and doing my duty the right way and more than this, I don't know anything about 
Scriptures,
Sacred Books,

Extensive Prayers and
Elaborate Meditational Practices

  • Often talked of!” 
The Saint at that stage truly understood the meaning of True Tranquillity beyond what he had seen. Doubtless, he returned to forest further to meditate and attain the Highest!

It may be just a story of ancient times retold here in today's context but the important message embedded in the story is

The moment praise and achievement are attributed to my hitherto pursued humble actions whatever be, pride surfaces instantly and rules thereafter without myself knowing a bit of it..

And that pride overpowers even a Saintly Personality who is evolved to a High Level in the line of Spirituality and an ordinary man like me is nothing in front of it at any point of time..

But once I continue doing more and more my duties to the core without partiality, the same pride drops off and humility prevails again..

Thus alone my life goes on this earth with minimum conflict and here any other involvement only raises certain sure confusion in me and leads me finally nowhere as

Sloka 6, Karma Yoga, Bhagavad Gita says

'karmendriyani samyamya ya yaste mans smaran
indriyarthan vimudhatma mithyacarah sa ucyate'


Meaning..

'Any one who having controlled the sense organs remains thinking within about sense objects, that individual is known as the hypocrite!'

And Sloka 7, Karma Yoga, Bhagavad Gita equally says

'yas tv indriyani manasa niyamyarabhate rjuna
karmendriyaih karma-yogam asktah sa visisyate'


Meaning..

'But any one who regulates the senses by mind and begins the science of uniting individual consciousness by the actions of working sense organs without desire for results, that individual is superior!'

Keywords: ACTIONS, MEDITATIONS

2 comments: