Tuesday, October 9, 2018

'9 TO 5'.. '24 X 7'.. WHAT ARE THESE?


The time was 1130 AM. The telephone rang..


“Hello, Krish! How are you? What's going on?”

“Oh, Yeah! How are you Raghav? Have not seen you since 3 days! What’s happening?”

“Yaar, Krish! The same thing.. My man gave me some work and it seems I should do it in 2 days. And no inputs are available. Now, I've to go round and beg for all that requirement. I just told him that it takes min 3 days and nothing less. Am going away today in time. Let's see what he will do.. By the way, what’s happening in your area?”

“Here too the same, my friend! These bosses seem to have no idea of what's possible and what's not possible.  My man, 10 minutes back called me and said that I've to complete the job given to me today itself and then only go home. Many times, I don’t understand what he talks.. It's just a 3 days job and tell me, how can any one do that in a day?

If I say a word there, the next moment he says, 


‘What’s the problem, dear? Work some time extra and you can sure finish it today!’ 

You know what happens, if I say one more word.. For what they pay, we are just slogging like slaves.. Sheer nonsense!”

“OK, dear! Forget all that.. Anyhow, these targets will never leave us..  Relax.. It's lunch time.. Coming for lunch?”

The talk ended there and in the next half hr both the friends moved to the canteen..

During lunch, the discussions continued.. No doubt, some solution had to be found for the unending pressures brought on them.. The friend firmly advised,

“See my dear, Krish! If it can't be done, say firmly that it'll take one more day; that's it and heaven is not going to fall! Truly speaking, it's just a trick here. Other wise be soft, from the next moment you will be loaded with tonnes of work.. 


And be watching me today.. I'll just come out of the Office at 5 PM sharp!”

The young man envied his friend for his courage and sharpness to be able to say so and found himself limited there in protesting that way. He felt sad for a while but there was no go and soon he had to back to his work..

By evening as usual there was the backlog, and a call from the boss for briefing.. He was out from the boss' chamber in 10 minutes and straight sat on his job..The whole job got over only around 8 PM and quite tired, he came out and moved towards the parking area..

As he was taking out his vehicle, he was quite surprised to see in the semi darkness his friend’s vehicle at a distance. No doubt, it was his only but he said that he would be out at 5 sharp whatever the pressures be.. Then, why did he leave the vehicle behind? 

Instantly, at the back of a certain curiosity, he casually looked up to the distant building's top level facing the parking area..

A bright light was glowing there only in one room in the middle of the building and the next moment he could very easily identify with 100% surety whose room it was!!!!!

Keywords: work, pressure

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You are right, Indrani.. Ultimately the Boss indirectly dictates forever.. Thanks for the Comment!

      Delete
  2. You are just awesome. Your thinking, writing, everything...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boss's word is always the final, more so if he is around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very Rightly said, Somali.. And facing that situation alone is the actual work.. Thanks for the Comment!

      Delete
  4. Been there, done that. But can't blame the boss or employees. Organizations that don't create proper systems will suffer in terms of profitability as well as in creating a healthy work environment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said it very much right, Adite Banerjie.. It happens often in the work environment and I should ever tune my psychology for that inevitable happening, the one reason being I should never come in the way of the customer's requirement if I am truly part of my group. Thanks for the appreciation and the good comment on the Post!

      Delete