Tuesday, November 27, 2018

RETIREMENT.. WHAT'S IT LIKE?

The man turned 60 had to retire on that day and in that context a grand function was arranged. No doubt, people who worked with him gave extensive speeches on that occasion bringing out their earlier memories of interactions and wished him a happy retired life..

Finally the man had to speak out..

He became emotional but controlled himself and by putting up a brave smile at length, spoke about his
 past work experiences, colleagues and friends and further continued..

“No doubt, from tomorrow I may not have busy schedules of this Office but as I look at myself, suddenly I find so many works with me..

  • I should immediately register and get my Senior Citizen ID Card which gives me access to certain facilities around me.. 
  • I've to think wisely on investing thru' the best plans the huge amounts of savings received by me at this moment.. 
  • I should sit and streamline my pension payment issues bringing them to a working level.. 
  • I should re-register with our Company for the various new Medical benefits offered to me from tomorrow.. and
  • I need to look at the various job offers in front of me before deciding on when to go for the one that ideally suits me! 
Sure, no breathing time from tomorrow and don’t know how to handle all these works all of sudden from tomorrow!”

The listeners maintained pin drop silence as the man spoke and ended his talk every one in the audience and speaker unconsciously at the back of his mind clearly knowing that..

  • Getting the Senior Card was a day's job and collecting that was another day's work,
  • The plans of investment were nothing but making a few days visit to banks and the huge money was nothing in front of the regular incomes received till every month..
  • The pension issues were already sorted out by the Company in advance with nothing to do from the retired person..
  • Taking a medical insurance policy was all that one had to do to cover up exigencies of retired life.. and
  • One needed to struggle with the limited job offers in front with reduced payments, no power and importance!
The Function being over in the next one hr, he was put in the company car and was bid a permanent 'BYE!'

Next to all that noise, further there was simply silence and only silence alone in the car and continued beyond at home after a few enquiries..

Instantly the man felt that he suddenly grew older by 5 years with no immediate interest in anything..

The telephone rang up.. It's from his daughter in foreign land..

"Dad! I know your retirement is today.. How are you?"

"I'm alright, dear.. No issues!"

"I understand your feelings on this day.. I don't want to trouble you with a discussion on what to do after this day..

No doubt you will be having some offers in your professional field to continue for some more time and that truly is good for you to do and other related works of re-settlement.. But equally, I suggest you one more involvement..

Our Little boy had learnt rolling over yesterday and it's great joy to see him raise his head smile at us.. I captured his one of those poses and am forwarding it to you..

Soon in few months from now on, if he can be taken care at home by you people, I can just get back to my work with minimum leave..

What do you say here? I'm sure you can take up some task too in your professional field by working from home.. Can you tell me your decision on this soon?"

The man suddenly saw himself elated with an unknown energy with the suggestion given by his daughter..

"Yes.. Nothing I lost here.. Truly, there are great areas of involvement for me at this stage of life..

One phase of life might have been over now but that's not the end of this life.. This retired life has truly got a different meaning in my life when in a day,

  • I can remain as a true support in my own work area..
  • I can advise the youngsters around me on life aspects..
  • I can practice more silence in my life which gives greater meaning to my life.. 
  • I can become more devotional and god oriented.. and
  • Beyond the best part of my life post retirement is.. 
I can play with my little grand son and see him grow and equally help my daughter utilize her skills in her work and grow in her field!
Seen thus by doing all these, I can live a life of full dignity and meaning instead of feeling a lost person for the rest of my life..


As the thoughts of the old man ran thus, he suddenly felt 'energetic life of almost 55 years' at the back of an additional vigor in him, the gloomy feeling of '65 years old' just taken off from his mind forever!

Keyword: RETIREMENT

13 comments:

  1. Goo one. I wish all the old people think like this. Most of them tend to become gloomy and recluse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's nice of you to say so, Suhasini.. Thanks and wishes!

      Delete
  2. Everyone has to retire someday. Some from job, some from life, and life still goes on. How easily we accept our new reality, better it is for us. Retirement takes us out of one routine, but we must prepare ourselves in advance over time for a different routine. Yes spending time with grand kids may be one new job / responsibility. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rightly said Abhijit.. Retirement is entirely a different phase of life which necessarily one has to live thru' with all humility and respect for human life and if I perceive that in that sense, it's never a doomed state.. Thanks for the good comment on the post.. Loved it!

      Delete
  3. So much brightness here. :)
    Enjoy your retirement. Enjoy your new engagement.
    Keep seeing the bright side of things. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for the compliment and appreciation, Divya.. Wishes!

      Delete
  4. Reminds me that I'm turning a senior citizen soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a news from you Tomichan Matheikal.. The phase of retirement is sure an interesting event if one firms up to look at other aspects of life as a Senior Citizen.. Wishes!

      Delete
  5. Thanks a lot for selecting such a topic which will definitely guide and inspire all the people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's nice of you to say so,S.Singh.. love the comment and thanks for the same.. wishes!

      Delete