Friday, April 26, 2024

W - THE (HARSH) REALITIES OF WORKING!

The ambulance vehicle making a shrilling sound with fast changing colored lights on top was seen coming very fast. Instantly all vehicles on the road slowed down, moved to a side as much possible and made way for the emergency vehicle to pass. Some people were equally in a prayerful mood wishing in their hearts that the person in the difficulty be soon well..

In my 60s, walking as usual as part of my daily morning walk on the opposite side, I too stopped for a min and was in a prayerful mode for the well being of the occupant when all of a sudden 2 youths ran across the road and crossed it..

As both of them came to my side, one man was seen asking them in a bit harsh tone why they made that attempt endangering their lives as well as coming in way of the emergency vehicle..

"Sir! We judged the distance and there was no problem.. We had to go urgently as we had no time and all along we lost our precious time!"

Was the answer from one of the youths..

"What urgency was there for you? You both look normal!"

"Our customer just now rang up.. He says that we are already late in our deliveries and if........ We've to go now!"

Soon I entered the nearby small hotel and ordered my favorite morning tea.. In few minutes, the hot steaming tea was in front served by an young man with a cheerful smile on his face.

I thanked him and as I started sipping my tea, slowly I was taken back to the memories of my past work life where in the boss/client interactions that took place were seen moving thru' my mind afresh..

  • "You spoke to our customer on phone? Yaar! In this company the GM or CEO alone can do that. Right now go to him and say sorry for that. And, never do this mistake again!"
  • "You want your GM's order to come to my place? No problem. Be prepared to be in my office in the next 15 minutes. It's going to come from not the GM but CEO's office!"
  • "What dear.. Time is not enough? The customer wants the item by tomorrow. Find 25 hrs in your day today and complete the job!"
  • "You came to the meeting to tell me that your deliveries would be delayed? Right now talk to your GM and get the right answer else your CEO will sure make you do that the next minute!"
  • "I expect you to be the witness to the verbal accusations made at me by your other customer in the meeting. Please sign on these papers!"
  • "You were witness to that verbal fight and you yourself address that. I may be your boss but I don't want to get involved in such sensitive issues!" 

And at the back of those never fading harsh realities of life, I could equally recollect my boss repeatedly advising,

“My dear Boys! You all very well know that we are into serious business when we sit in this place. Here, there's nothing like doing a fixed job and getting away. 
 If you remain casual at your work, you'll quickly be caught off guard and attacked by a few vested interests who are in for grabbing the opportunity and make a hay in the field..

That way, your employer soon may lose or may land in problems of strained relations, unnecessary blame or at times may get into few critical issues from which getting out will be a real a problem and for all that happening ultimately

You alone have to pay thru' your nose; nothing less!”

I'm participating in #BlogchatterA2Z

Keywords: WORKING, #BlogchatterA2Z

4 comments:

  1. Work place is totally a different experience, surely not what we read and imagined all the while in the colleges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rightly said.. And as the grade goes up in the career, it really becomes a tight rope walk. An individual is groomed to the core in this environment. Thanks for leaving the right observation on the Post. Wishes!

      Delete
  2. True that. You need to on your toes when you are working. There will be people ready to take credit of your work and shift the blame to you if the situation demands it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Vikas.. The work environment is like a war zone. One should be well equipped, enter the zone in right time, finish the task and return quickly before the enemy tries to catch. Else the whole mission is a failure. Thanks for the right observation on the Post. Wishes!

      Delete