Saturday, April 4, 2015

A 'SORRY' IS NEVER AN 'ANSWER' HERE!


"Sir! This portion of work is completed.... I've already got the matter printed and today I am sending that material.........." briefed the Sr Manager to his Boss.....

"Thanks, Vignesh! Really you've done the job.... You know, how much we are off from a big problem for the present.... For the last one week, I was totally restless and....." the Boss applauded with a smile and continued...."But remember one thing.... Still the matter is not closed and we have to do......... When that comes up....... I don't know..... But for the present I feel, you have done...... OK! Thank you again.... Go ahead with your left out work.... I've got to go now!"

That evening, there was a call to the Sr Manager at his Residence from EA to GM....

"Hi!  Vignesh!  This is Ramesh speaking.... How are you doing? Sorry to call you at this moment.... Mr Vignesh! There is a small task for you and our GM is looking out for the right man to do this job....

Please listen carefully...... It's an important work for the next week...... A sort of crucial Client interaction.... You got it? We found you the right person for this job.... Hope you are OK with it......"


"Sir! I am already loaded with...."

"It's just for a week.... Later a bit here and there.... It's an opportunity too for you..... "

"OK! I'll adjust.... You can give my name!"

"Thanks, dear! Good night!"

Next day morning with the Boss....

"Sir! I just want to inform you....Yesterday had a call from GM's Office from his EA.....  There's a requirement, it seems.........."


"Yaar!  What is that you have agreed to?   If you go away, who will do my work then?"


"Sir!  I can manage both.... Am confident about that!"


"What are you talking?  I know, the moment you are into this, You will be loaded with tons of that work alone.... No, I can't allow this.... Let's go to GM immediately!"


The Sr Manger a bit a confused soon had to follow his Boss to the GM's Office.... The Boss briefed to GM what the work his Sr Manager was doing and how important it was for him to be totally on that job alone....


The GM was instantly confused, "Yaar!  What's this nonsense you are talking of?  If that is the case, your man should have clearly told that earlier to my EA....Why did he so happily agree to take up this?  Now, his name has gone to our Client and he accepted his Bid-data.... I can't displease the Customer by not sending him there!"


The Boss was firm.... "Sir!  I know the problem but I am equally helpless.... Here my work sure suffers.... Had he told me about this then and there, I would have simply stopped him from giving his name.... We just have to look for an alternative now!"


The GM's anger knew no bounds....


"What Vignesh?  What answer do you have to me and to your Boss now?  Can you please give your explanation?"


"I'm sorry Sir!  It was purely my mistake alone.... I should have discussed the matter with him before giving a word to you.... I feel bad.... Extremely Sorry, Sir...."


The GM was in rage..."What my dear?  Do you think, you can just get away here by simply saying 'Sorry?'   I think it's time you face some music of the situation.... I can't take it lighter any more...." jumping thus, he instantly called his PA to his Room and said, "Get me the Personal File of Mr Vignesh right now on to my Table.... Need to do something and set his matters a bit straight..... It appears, he doesn't understand the situation.... My house is on fire!"

10 comments:

  1. very nice... would like to know what happened after GM took the file of Vignesh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Nice question.... No doubt the talk goes thus but whatever be the happening, the man sure learns how to be careful at work and how often the Higher ups and a few times the colleagues too can land one into an unexpected situation... Thanks for the question!

      Delete
  2. I liked the way you cite such real-life incidents to make your point Sir. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maniparna! Having lived in such an Environment for almost 40 yrs and retired, all my messages in relation to Work ever are at the back of that experience only.... Thanks again!

      Delete
  3. It's realy very one Sir..............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much.... Just a few thoughts within me!

      Delete
  4. Assertiveness is a very importnat skill that is required to deal with the world..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said very much right, Roohi! But that skill comes only when I either witness or myself experience certain awkward situations in life.... Thanks for a nice Comment on these Pages!

      Delete
  5. I must say I also come across such situation in my professional life and I believe all professionals (particularly the ones who are not outspoken much) must have found themselves in similar situation while dealing with their bosses who try to take a complete grip of the events under their supervision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! This invariably happens at Work.... It's generally a situation where in I can't straight away refuse the request (indirectly an order) on the face of it but should equally be careful on what I commit.... Truly a tug of war environment.... Thank you very much, Vishal!

      Delete